Friday, November 20, 2015

STAY-CATION

 
 
“To kids from one to ninety-two . . .”
 
Or so the lyrics of The Christmas Song go as I remember them.  Well, in my case it’s “from five to ninety-three.”  I’ve been off work for a week, but staying at home.  Yesterday I helped my ninety-three year old aunt put on her shoes, then later, I heard my grandson call out “G-Ma, can you help me with my shoes?”  Yes, sir, I can!   As I helped the five-year-old with his shoes, I thought of the lyrics. 
 
Right now the kids/grandkids are camping out with me and my sister and I are helping our aunt and uncle into an assisted care facility that’s only a stone’s throw from our homes.  So it’s been a family staycation week which meant I put away my computer.  Let me tell you, it’s been worth it.  Aunt Doris LOVES her new digs and this past week, listening to five-year-old and three-year-old philosophies has been invigorating and exhausting.   (Oh, my aching back!)  Each night, rain or shine, we walk outside, touch the Christmas lights and make a wish to Santa.  “Shhh.  It’s a secret!”
 

 
Tomorrow most of the staycation ends and I’ll find myself back in the wilds of Wyoming, finishing my section of the sequel to SINISTER a novel I cowrote a few years back with Nancy Bush and Rosalind Noonan.  I’m having great fun with the story, but I’m glad I took a break for time with the grandkids while they really are still “littles.”   It’s amazing how kids see the world.  Maybe I’ll take a lesson!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment